10/10/13

DIY: terrarium


At this time of year, I am always searching for ways to extend 
the fruits of summertime, and bring my favorite season into the home as autumn slowly blows in.
terrariums are not only so hipster cool right now, 
but they increase oxygen circulation - always a good thing - 
and they add a pretty, clear and simple dose of green to any part of a house.

materials: activated charcoal, rocks (or aquarium gravel), moss, soil, plants aaaand a jar!

step1: add rocks to the bottom of your jar.
{for sentimental value, i added rocks from 1) le cinque terre 2) croatia and 3) the french riviera}

step 2: add a few clumps of moss. moss soaks up any excess water and adds a raw green look.

step 3: add soil. throw a handful of activated charcoal mixed in the soil.
because there are no holes for draining, charcoal works to keep soil fresh and not soggy.

step 4: using your fingers, make a little "hole" in the soil for your plant.
start small, place your plant in the soil, and cover it up sufficiently.

---

and after a few months of happy terrarium-ing...
{indirect light, the occasional light watering/misting}

makes a great gift, an inexpensive and fulfilling DIY,
and a great way to pump oxygen and green into any corner of the casa.
:)

happy terrarium-ing!
ciao, xo

2 comments:

  1. Aww that is so cute! I've seen a few posts on these now, and I may have to have a god myself.

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok.. time to catch up on blogs. haha... my life has been crazy lately, so my blog reading and commenting has been put on the back burner. Oh I love this Taylor! Gorgeous! I have been wanting to make a terrarium for awhile and just haven't yet! I saw a couple of cute ideas on pinterest too, so I'll have to add that to my exensive "to do when I have time to be a normal person again- list" :) Happy weekend friend!

    ReplyDelete